Search This Blog

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Deep Thoughts: Trivialities

So I have been thinking. Deep thinking actually.  The real deal.  Yesterday and today marked the semi-annual General Conference my church does every six months.  Leaders of the church share council, doctrine and guidance in 5 different televised sessions.  The prophet (top leader) said this:
 "Everywhere everyone is in a hurry.  In this fast paced life do we ever pause for moments of meditation?  Most of the questions of daily living are really rather trivial.  In times of crisis we are able to determine what is really important and what is merely trivial.  It is clear what is most precious." (I have quoted this as best as I can, but there are parts that are wrong and pieces that I left out for the sake of length.)

He goes on to tell of a woman he met who was told she had cancer.  Before her illness her days were filled with things like cleaning her house to perfection, going to the hairdresser twice a week and spending time and money increasing her wardrobe.  Once she knew her life was in jeopardy she knew that her time would be spent with family friends and the gospel at the center of her life.

So here is where the thinking comes in.  I do always feel in a hurry and after this talk I found myself wondering if I am spending too much time rushing around trying to accomplish trivial things.  If I could break down my life to the bare minimum, the things that are worth spending time on, they would be (in no particular order):
  • Immediate Family
  • Extended Family
  • Housing
  • Food
  • Health
  • Financial Stability
  • Service/ Support to Friends
  • My personal relationship with God
I know that there are things I can and should cut out of my schedule so that I have more time to devote to the really important things of life, mainly God, Aaron and my children.

I know that blogging is one of the things that should change.  Don't worry I am not abandoning my blog, but I don't think I will post every day according to my schedule.  If I do post on a specific day, I will post whatever is scheduled for that day.  Also the primary purposes of my blog are:
  • Outreach to family and friends.  I had this funny idea that maybe I could have a following so I have to keep my blog really cool.  I am going back to keeping everyone informed about what is going on in our lives.
  • Family Journal, emphasis on family, not Lauren
  • To be uplifting and perhaps inspire those seeking inspiration whether it be in parenting, in personal goal keeping or in religion.
Honestly what you as a reader see probably won't change much, but my thought process and dedication to it internally will be what changes.

That is enough thinking for one day!  I think I smell my neurons toasting!  If you have not seen this April General Conference I HIGHLY recommend it.  It had so many wonderful talks and beautiful music.
 

No comments: