Search This Blog

Monday, April 02, 2012

L.S.N.E.D.: Writing

This morning in an effort to s  l  o  w  d  o  w  n  and spend more time on the important rather than the trivial, I stopped in and visited Ben's class instead of rushing home to clean and do homework etc...  

When I walked into the room Ben was sitting in a circle with his classmates.  His sweet brown eyes were partially obscured by his glasses halfway down his nose and the spot of hair I tried to tame this morning was as alert as ever.  He jumped up and gave me a kiss then whispered warm juicy words about a recipe he wanted to share with me.

I sat and listened to the words of his classmates and when it was his turn to say what was memorable about the story I wondered what he would say.  
    
When he writes he is very illustration heavy.  
                                              
                                 I wondered if he would say that he liked 
                               
                                  the illustrations.  
                
Ben has trouble focusing and I wondered 
                                        
                                         if that would get in the way of an 
                          
         original thought and he would just say 

                                          the same as some other classmate.  

Are you dying to know what he said!?  He said that he learned a new recipe and that sometimes he bakes with me and he wanted to try the recipe.  I was only there about 10 minutes, but I could tell my being there meant the world to Ben.

While listening to the kids and the teacher I learned some new things, or at least I was reminded of some things I had forgotten!  First and foremost, man I love Ben and I am excited to make the tea cakes in the book with him.  Second, I really do need to slow down and smell the roses.  Mrs. Williams mentioned that the gas station in our town is not the gas station, it is Paul's Mobil Gas station.  I never noticed that it was a Mobil station.  Third, in order to engage a reader the following tricks can be useful:
  • Details-The writer didn't say he passed the gas station, he said he passed the Chandler's Phillips 66.  I always leave out details.  I figure they take extra time and they would bore people.  I am eager to try adding more details to my writing.
  • Spacing- The writer adds meaning to his words in the way that he writes them.  Take for instance the way I wrote "slow down" and can you feel the anticipation as I waited to hear what Ben said?
It will be interesting to see what I can come up with. I have never been a descriptive person.  My college English professors were always telling to "flesh out" my writing.  I hope I don't bore you all to death as I try this out.

No comments: