Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reckless Recreation:Valentine's and Rocker Board

Every Valentine's Day the kids and I make valentines rather than buy them.  Every Valentine's Eve as I cram to get them done I grit my teeth and wonder why the heck I want to make my life miserable and why don't I just buy the stupid things.  Then Valentine's Day when I see the final product ready to go I remember why I do it.  Remember point 4 from this post?


This year the kids and I cut out 60 hearts (remember this when you decide how many kids you want) and stapled a little pocket on them (at this point I am thinking Ghetto)
A goof up of Sophie's
But then we made little tiny heart sugar cookies and I made a frosting that hardens and dyed it with raspberry puree and painted it on each heart.  Then I wrapped them and put them in the little pocket.  The kids wrote messages on the pocket and all of the sudden they were adorable.  Too bad I didn't take a picture.

This year marks the first time EVER that Aaron bought me flowers without me asking for them.  We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day- you know the idea that we should show love and appreciation every day and we don't need a special day to remind us...  I had zero expectation for anything for Valentine's Day and I would not have been disappointed it there hadn't been flowers.  I feel like I am running on here.  Needless to say I was pleased.
Finally I have some flowers to practice my macro pictures on.  It is going to take some time and I think I might want to get a macro lens.  (Don't tell Aaron yet I don't think his heart or wallet can take it.)

Sophie's Rose
Jacob's preschool has these awesome Rocker Boards.  They are great for boys like mine.  Jacob really enjoys using his body and Ben needs to move his body more than the average child.  They are so expensive but Jacob's teachers went to an early childhood conference where they sell them for a fraction of the cost.  Aaron was not pleased with the idea because of the cost but now that he has seen it in action he is sold (though he refuses to admit it.)
This is just one of the many ways they have figured out how to use it.  I can count at least 10 different uses they have come up with in just 2 days.
 


No comments: