Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Reckless Recreation: Contra Dance

I think I need to come up with an alternate Wednesday topic.  It takes a lot to take pictures while trying to make dinner.  I will keep Wednesday as W.F.D.T.R but the alternate will be Wordless Wednesday.


Now for the Contra Dance, which I called a Contra Band for awhile.  It made me feel risque that I was going to a contraband where there was dancing.  Sometimes life is fun inside my crazy head.

My friend recently organized a monthly contra dance in Hardwick so if you ever want to try it out I highly recommend it.  There is usually a potluck of some sort, it is family friendly, and it is good exercise!
Right now Sophie and I love contra dances.  Ben and Jacob are warming up to the idea, I don't think Aaron will ever be comfortable with the dancing part, but maybe (and that is a big maybe) he will like the social part someday.  For now I am content going on my own.
As I reviewed pictures I kept thinking, "Oh there is Sophie...dancing with a 50 year old man...who is a complete stranger...............................This is actually a friend and he is not 50 so that makes it a little better...I think...
Sophie brought a friend to this dance, a much more comfortable dance partner.
Another male stranger but not 50 either
Despite the occasional "uh that is weird" feeling I just love the feel of a contra dance.  A group of people, friends, acquaintances, complete strangers joining together in unity.  Some people have great rhythm some are clueless but we all dance together without judgement.  It is a lot of fun.
This particular dance was in support of the migrant workers in the area.  Many did not speak very much English which was both fun and challenging.
 

See how much fun it is?
There's a 50+.  I also danced with him and he was a charming gentleman
Do -Si- Do!!
Swing your partner!
I happened to dance with this gentleman, Adam I think was his name, so not a total stranger right?
Recorder player extraordinaire Alana!!
Here is the "Contra Band"
I highly recommend you check it out.
 

6 comments:

Lausanne said...

What a delight to see these photos~ particularly to see how much joy can happen when the music plays and people of all ages shed their differences to meet with comfort and grace on the dance floor! I look forward to the March dance in Hardwick with many of the same faces I hope. By the way, that young girl is learning that strangers of all ages can be trusted on the contra dance floor....and that some of those older men really know how to swing a girl! Thanks for posting all these photos of your daughter...you should be proud, she dances with grace!

Abby said...

That looks like so much fun! Is that Hannah in some of the photos? There is a woman that looks a lot like her from behind.

CommonMama said...

Abby-it is so much fun! Hannah was not there but I kept thinking that she and Andy would love it.
Lausanne- Thank you so much! She and I both love dancing. Writing about dancing with strangers is more for comic effect ti is fascinating the people you get to know. I am looking forward to March's dance!

Tomas Kalmar said...

Thank you for posting this. It's the total absence of 'judgment' that I love about these contradances. We once went to the contradance in Montpelier and felt out of our depth and since we didn't know the steps, the regulars there certainly let us know we were a drag, so we haven't been back. But around here, in Greensboro, Hardwick, Craftsbury, it's all a celebration of community. everyone feels accepted for the best possible reasons.

Mama Ash Grove said...

Lauren, this looks like so much fun- I would love to go!! I think my oldest boy would love it too, but the others would absolutely NOT.
Sophie looks beautiful, full of life, and so charming!
Love, Mel

Hannah Joy said...

Lauren, this looks amazing! I would love go go sometime. I love to get me some good dancin. I love the pictures of beautiful Sophie dancing with all the other folks. She is so social and brave!