Search This Blog

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Deep Thoughts: Mediocrity

Over the last few years I have been asked on MANY occasions, “Oh my gosh! How do you have time for that?”  Running, knitting, having 4 kids, having 2 puppies, blogging, sewing, church callings, chickens, college classes…all of these have been the subject of this question.


I have been asked enough times that I have really started to wonder how I do have enough time to do all this.  Of course then I start thinking, “I don’t have time!  And if I am going it that must mean I am doing something wrong.  I shouldn’t have time for this!”

I finally came up with a quick reply when the dental hygienist asked about the puppies the other day.  “I don’t know.  I must neglect the real children.”
Look at these poor urchins.  Poorly dressed and playing in muddy drainage water,
While the nearly naked baby is inside alone.
I think that couldn’t be further from the truth.  If I could give reasons why I can do all those things, here is what I would come up with:  
  • I don’t coddle the kids.  I raise my kids to be independent. “Teach them correct principles and they will govern themselves.”  Joseph Smith
  • I am jack of all trades and master of none.  I dabble in a lot of things but never all at
    the same time and never well enough to win contests.
  • In my dabbling I don’t finish things I start.  For example today I finished sewing the Christmas jammies I made for the kids.  For three months all I have had to do is hem Noah’s, repair Jacob’s seat that ripped out, and reinforce Ben and Sophie’s so they wouldn’t rip.  I finished them today in about 10 minutes.   3 months for 10 minutes…sad.                 
  • I talk a lot about the things I do so it may seem like I do a lot but really I am just talking about the same things over and over. (i.e. I have a bragging problem.)
  •  Mediocrity-My house is not pristine, my kid’s hair isn’t perfectly groomed, and my pets sit and come but that it about it.
  • I save a lot of time by not showering or getting dressed before 12:00.
    FYI This was taken at 7:36 a.m.
  • I have ADD and anxiety (I have a doctors note that gets me out of gym. That is why I don't exercise j/k)and quite frankly if I sit still for a few seconds with nothing to do I get a little antsy for something to do.
  • I am chronically over tired.  Burning the candle at both ends!
  • I have an amazing husband who does a lot of housework and helps a lot with the kids and animals.
  • This talk by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf literally changed my life.  Even if you aren’t LDS it is motivational.  It helped me lose my fear of failure.
  • In general my religion helps me push myself to greater heights.  I am constantly trying to "try a little harder to be a little better." Onward and Upward!!! 

  • I keep things simple.  If it doesn't serve a purpose, I don't do it.