Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WFDTR: Breakfast for Dinner

Sausage Egg Muffins and Fruit Smoothie

This particular recipe was not fast as I make the english muffins, but with store bought english muffins this would whip up in 10 to 15 minutes.

I used Alton Brown's english muffin recipe but altered it a bit.

Add powdered milk, salt and shortening according to recipe.  I used butter because I was out of shortening.
Add hot water, sugar and yeast.  The recipe has you divide this and add the yeast after it has proofed.  I just add all the water and yeast right to the powdered milk mixture.
Mix well, whip it right up.
See how gooey the dough is?  Cover and allow to rise 30 minutes.

Preheat the griddle to 300 (medium heat) and grease rings and griddle.  They say you can use other things instead of the rings but I forked out the 8 bucks for the rings

Add remaining salt and I add about 1/8 t baking soda to the dough/batter and mix well.  Fill the rings with batter.  The one on the bottom had too much and the one on top didn't have enough.  Cover (make sure you grease whatever you cover it with.  Cook according to recipe, take care when flipping the rings, they are hot!
Fruit smoothie.  There is no specific recipe here.  I personally use plain yogurt, orange juice and 2-3 bananas.  These are the crucial ingredients.  Then add just about anything you want.  I usually use frozen blueberries, strawberries, peaches, raspberries, papaya juice, flax seed, spinach, kale, steamed carrots....the sky's the limit.  Actually once I put sweet peppers in and it totally ruined it.  My kids even know there is spinach and kale in it and they love it.

Cook up some sausage and eggs and top with cheese if you want.  I also put ketchup.  Aaron puts mayonnaise and mustard. Put them all together and YUM!

The finished smoothie.  This meal has a grain, protein, dairy and full servings of both fruits and veggies.  Not necessarily low fat.  Skip the sausage if you are heart conscious.  I have made the english muffins with mostly wheat flour with great success.

1 comment:

Mama Ash Grove said...

Lauren, this looks so good. It makes me sad I can't do eggs.
The smoothies you make are SO good! Have you ever tried adding flax seed oil? You can't taste it- and it's wonderful for eczema.