Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Deep Thoughts: Attitude

I read a quote from the Ensign magazine our church publishes each month.  President Thomas S. Monson quoted the philosopher William James, 

“The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives."

Then a few days later I heard an interview with Andrew Weil on To The Best of Our Knowledge where he also referenced the fact that researchers have discovered that when we change our attitude our brains literally change, like scientifically, you can see a difference in the brain.

Andrew Weil was talking about non-medical ways to treat depression and anxiety, and don't get me wrong I firmly believe that there are cases and situations where you can't take a chance with not using medication.  There are very real chemical balances that it is safer to use medicine.  Trust me on this one, I speak from experience.  But it is amazing what we can do if we just have the right attitude.

President Monson  ends the section on Attitude be referencing a boat with a sail.  He says,

"We can’t direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. For maximum happiness, peace, and contentment, may we choose a positive attitude."

It makes me think of sweet Sister Hinckley when she said, 

“The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.”

No comments: