Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Parenting Practices: T.V.


Posted by Picasa
Did your parents have a nickname for the T.V. when you were growing up?  You know something along the lines of, "Boob Tube" or "Idiot Box"?  Mine did.


So now as an adult I think I understand why.  The T.V. seriously makes my kids do crazy things.  Things that prove that I am right when I tell the kids, "Too much T.V. makes your brain mushy."


Today Ben came home from school begging to watch a movie.  Over and over he asked if he could watch a movie, each time with the answer, "Just a minute Ben."  To his credit he was car sick from reading a book on the bus ride home.


I finally settle on a nice old classic, "Gentle Giant." 3.2 minutes into the movie Ben asks, "Mommy, can I have my computer turn?"  Translated this means, "Mommy this screen is not stimulating enough, can we kick it up a notch?"


Then there is Sophie who acts as if I am torturing her because I am forcing her to watch the movie. "Mommy, I don't want to watch this movie," she wails, tears flowing.  For the record when she said she didn't want to watch this movie I told her, "Then don't watch it."

Aaron always says T.V. is medicine, to be used wisely and in the right circumstances.  It might be fair to say my kids need an intervention, some time to detox.  I get on it, right after the end of my show.

No comments: