Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Knitting

I am doing childcare for a friend on Friday mornings while she teaches a fiber arts class at the college here in town. In exchange she gives us fresh meat from their farm (beef, lamb, deer...) but one of the Fridays she taught me how to knit a gave me a bunch of hand spun wool yarn to get started with. She also gave me some cotton to make dish cloths.

This is my first completed item. There is a hole, which she told me I used the technique to make lace to create, so I am actually quite advanced. Making lace on my first try and all...anyway I really enjoy it and can't wait to learn more, and maybe get a sheep so I can make my own yarn...but we won't rush things!


6 comments:

Mummy. said...

I love that you are knitting, and on a bartering cycle with a friend. Good for you! and making lace already!

Mama Ash Grove said...

Lauren, I am so glad you are KNITTING!
Great job on your first project.

Abby said...

i am impressed! soon enough all of us girls will be knitters!

Mary said...

That is really pretty! I really like the lacey look.

Unknown said...

WOW, lace!!! You are so funny. I met a friend once who had her own sheap and she was teaching me and a few other women how to card the wool and spin it. I bought a drop spindel. I would like to spin more wool, but the wool from her sheep was really dirty because her sheep didnt wear coats to keep it clean, and we didnt have a proper way to clean it. :-(

martha said...

When I grow up, I want to be just like LAUREN!