Search This Blog

Monday, August 11, 2008

Annual Blueberry Quest

Friday morning we went on our annual blueberry quest. I had already gone once and one of us will go again, but this was the family quest. Apparently we went earlier this year than last year because a lot of the berries were still not ripe. However, we picked 15 1/2 pounds so it isn't like the plants were lacking berries.

Because of all the rain we have had, the path to the blueberries was flooded a bit, and several frogs took advantage of the new "pond."

I am not sure exactly what this is. It looks kind of like milk weed, but the leaves are different, but they are pretty either way.

The family preparing to pick

Sophie sampling the quality

Jacob really got into picking this year. Our pies may be a little extra tart with all the green berries he picked. By the end of the morning he was picking only dark blue berries.

Ben is now an expert picker, though his bowl never really had berries in it...I wonder where they all went?

Ben snapped a shot of some of the berries we picked. In the end we filled this entire bowl to the top.

Sophie snapped a shot of me so that I would be included in the photo memory, but it was of my upper arm and THAT is nothing I am anywhere near proud enough to share!!

7 comments:

Abby said...

Oh those look good! I love how the kids are getting right into it too. I admire how much you do with your kids - I hope to have lots of family outings like that when Brad and I have kids.

Mama Ash Grove said...

Lauren, I would've loved to see your upper arm.
The blueberry picking looks wonderful- I am impressed with how much you got!

Unknown said...

I dont know why, but upper arm pictures have ALWAYS bothered me too. I think it is because when they press against yourself they expand larger than they actually are.
That seems like such a fun trip! I cant wait to do things like that with keith and little Iyla/Iigen (we were SUPPOSE To know by now which it is!)

erica said...

That upper arm will get you every time! What do you do with all those berries?!

CommonMama said...

I hope that you all understand that it was ONLY my upper arm in the photo, a nice close-up shot with detail. I don't dare go into any more detail.

CommonMama said...

Oh and we freeze them all and I serve them with lunch throughout the winter. Frozen blueberries are very yummy. I also make pies and muffins with them.

Jennifer Bundy said...

Wow! for not having very many berries out, you sure got a lot! ANd your bushes are so much bigger than ours are!. We just have ground cover bushes, and mixed in with them are crow berry bushes- not a berry you want to harvest. We went on a hike last week to a place you are supposed to be able to get some, but no luck- they were still all green. Maybe we will get lucky, but we haven't had a very good growing summer at all- I am so jealous of your garden!