Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2008

Bees

Today is a cold, gray day and I guess the bees that slept on the seedum last night had a hard time getting up and going this morning, because they were all sluggish on the flowers, not even moving.

I kept checking on them throughout the day and they were still there. When it started to rain I figured they would fly away, but I guess it was still too cold. I was surprised to find that they had all crawled to the underside of the flower to stay dry.

So now I wonder...what happens to bees when all of the sudden it becomes to cold for them to fly back to the hive at the end of the season? Do they just freeze to death on the flowers? Or do they somehow instinctively know when the very last day for them to get back to the hive is? Anyway...

A singular bee because bees are just cool...

One section of the seedum. There are at least 8 bees here, and this is only about 2/3 of the plant. I am not sure how many bees there were total, but an impressive amount!

The underside of the seedum. There are seven bees here I think.

3 comments:

Abby said...

that is just creepy.

Mama Ash Grove said...

these are really cool. I love bees- they are amazing and so cool to watch!

Unknown said...

You are so observant of nature! How interesting with the Bees. Insects and Animals all just seem to know when the right time is. Like ducks flying south, etc.