Search This Blog

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Health Update

I was just thinking that I should do a health update.

My radioactive iodine treatment was successful. I am still working with the replacement hormone levels. I think this most recent dose will put me at "normal."

I still have ocular hypertension and the fact that I do probably means that I will always have to take medicine for it. The good news is that my eyes look normal again. I know that many of you never saw the difference, but I did. I don't have to go back to the neuro-ophthalmologist until next November and as long as the medicine is working there should be no permanent effects

I am still experiencing fatigue. There may be several different causes.

1. My thyroid levels are still off a little and once we get my dose right I will be full of energy!

2. I might have myasthenia gravis, another auto immune disease. I go to the neuro-muscular Dr. on Tuesday and will have more information after that.

3. I am approaching middle age and my body is feeling the effects of all the medical issues I have had in the last year. The solution...I am not sure, I might just have to buck up and work through the fatigue until I get stronger.

All in all this has been a fascinating medical journey. One that I hope none of you has to experience for yourselves, but if you do, it isn't so bad, just interesting!

And because post are better with photos (unless you are an incredible gifted writer and extremely funny...) here are a couple of photos. Sophie took one and then Ben. I have long been accused of doing nothing in photos so I did something. I will try to be more creative next time.

6 comments:

Mummy. said...

charming. Absolutely charming. I feel blessed.

Mama Ash Grove said...

Lauren I am so glad things are going well health wise for you- even though you have chronic health problems, it seems you have gotten them under control. I admire your attitude so much! I honestly don't think I could stay as positive as you have! You are amazing.
And even though you are making horrible faces in those two pictures, you look beautiful!

Unknown said...

I agree, the photos are oddly flattering, even though your goofing around.
BUT I hope I can have your optimism if something like this ever does happen to keith or I.
I am so glad you are getting better.

Erica said...

Didn't your mother ever teach you not to stick your finger up your nose?!

Mama Ash Grove said...

Well, you can pick your own nose, you just can't pick your friend's nose.

Abby said...

i pick my friends nose all the time. its strangely satisfying........
Lauren this is very good news - i am so so happy for you!
you are looking very beautiful!!