Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

L.S.N.E.D: Roles

Last week I tried an add on for my internet browser that was supposed to help me make better use of my time.  You create categories and task lists, set priorities and make short and long term goals and then color code the goals and alarms to remind you of your goals.

After spending 45 minutes, unsuccessfully, trying to set it up I decided that perhaps my time would be better spent elsewhere.  What I did learn from it and have decided to apply to my life comes from 7 Habits of Highly Effective people.  I have never read it so I know nothing about it except that according to this application we all have roles.  After determining what your roles are, you choose a goal for the week that will best help you fill that role.  I guess the theory is that we don't have to feel frazzled by everything we have to do because when we narrow it down to our roles rather than the task list, we are more effective.

My Roles &Goals (in no specific order):
  1. Wife: This is Aaron's crazy month and he will be out of town chaperoning the senior trip this weekend.  My goal is to keep the household running as smoothly as possible so that he has a refuge from stress and so that we are not adding to his stress
  2. Mother: Spend one on one time doing an activity with each of the kids this week, walking, shopping, science, craft, reading.....
  3. Housekeeper: In addition to regular upkeep sort, wash, fold and put away the laundry
  4. Community Member: Contact Sophie's teacher to find out what the next fundraising activity is for the Boston trip
  5. Church Member: Practice hymns and children's songs
  6. Family Member: Letter writing to grandparents, contact with siblings
  7. Self: Exercise Daily (except Sunday) Get hair cut
See, that is simple enough right?  I feel like these are attainable goals.  Also I found another add on that you very simply add a list of tasks for the day and while you are on the internet it counts down and then speaks to remind you of what task you should be working on.  I am thinking it will help eliminate my biggest distraction and time waster...THE INTERNET and access to instant information whenever I want. It's a blessing and a curse.

No comments: