Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

L.S.N.E.D.: Not for the Squeamish or Faint of Heart

In my Anatomy and Physiology class last week we dissected a cow eyeball. I wish I had a picture for you to look at and see how incredibly amazing the eye is, but even though I asked nicely, my teacher wouldn't let me take pictures.

I will admit that I was a little nervous that I would feel guilty about dissecting the coy eye when those sweet brown cow eyes looked up off the dissecting tray.  Thankfully the preservation process saved me from any feelings of guilt whatsoever.  At first I wasn't even sure it was an eyeball.

Later this month we will dissect a cow heart.  Isn't it crazy that we are so different from cows, cats, sheep or minks (our models for the class) and yet we can use their organs as an example for our own?  

It is all amazing and I know it grosses some people out, but I love the chance to see how the body works, without plucking out my own eye.




1 comment:

debkin said...

Awesome. I have fond memories of dissecting a frog in High School.