Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

L.S.N.E.D.: For Kristin

I am trying to think of how I can relate this post to learning something new every day, but really I just want to show Kristin our hermit crab terrarium.  At some point I mentioned that I would blog about this, then I totally forgot.  So I guess this will be a tutorial.

How To Create a Terrarium for Hermit Crabs

Step One:  Clean out a glass terrarium what ever size you would like. The larger the tank the more hermit crabs you can get.
Step Two:  Add a wooden divider for various types of substrate.  Ours has potting soil and rocks.  I wanted sand and coconut bark.  I bought it, was worried that Aaron would do something weird with it so I put it "someplace special" and I haven't found it since.
Step Three:  Plant plants in the sand or soil that do well in warm moist environments, bromeliads in particular.  It is helpful to plant them ahead of time so they can put down roots as the crabs can dig them up. 
Step Four:  Decorate as desired.  We have yet to get our climbing structure, but we will.

Ok enough words.  Really all I wanted to do was post the pictures.  So here goes.
Built in to our T.V. cabinet. Noah is enjoying an episode of Backyardigans 
We haven't put the spider plants in yet because all of the hermit crabs buried themselves to molt and we don't want to disturb them.
The smaller brown shell is Sophie's hermit crab, Brownie.  She changed shells right after we got her then was super elusive but now all the others have disappeared and Brownie is out and about. 
There you go Kris!  

1 comment:

Mama Ash Grove said...

It's wonderful, Lauren! Awesome hands on learning for everyone! My kids would love it so much- but so would our cat.