Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

W.F.D.T.R.: Potatoes Au Gratin

So much for staying on track.  Yesterday got away from me.  
So Parenting Practices from yesterday: 
Oh forget it.  I may as well just forge ahead otherwise I won't have time for the recipe.
Slice 6 medium potatoes and layer in pan.  Time saving tip: I sue my kitchen aid attachment to slice the taters.  You can also use the slicer on the side of the cheese grater.  I got started late for dinner and this is supposed to cook for an hour but if you layer the potatoes in a bowl with a spry of pan between layers then cover and microwave for maybe 5 minutes you can save a bunch of time.
Classic roux:1/2 cup diced onion sauteed in 1/4 cup butter, add 1 T flour, 1 t salt, 1/4 t pepper, slowly add 2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
Pour sauce over potatoes and bake uncovered 1 hour  (or less if you precooked the potatoes)
Top potatoes with 1/2 cup shredded cheese then 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs and a dash of paprika and bake another 15-20 minutes until top is brown and bubbly.  I got distracted and over cooked this a bit but it was still YUMMY!
And that's what's for dinner tonight!
 

No comments: