Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Birds

I have an awful confession to make. I stopped feeding the wild birds this fall. I had guilty feelings of poor birds starving because I had ended their food supply. Thankfully my bird magazine assured me they just retreat into the woods and do just fine.

I wasn't being wildly neglectful...my bird feeder was broken and the seed would just dump onto the ground and for some reason the birds ignored the other feeder.

Anyway I got a new feeder and it took one day for my faithful chickadees to return, two days later the red squirrel, by the end of the week a week later a pair of goldfinches was filling up at the feeder. Then another week later a sweet little dark eyes junco. We have yet to have anything exotic, but all my favorites (minus the squirrel) are here, and they make me so happy.

Yesterday I stood at the feeder and a chickadee landed inches from my hand. Soon one will eat from my hand.

I love standing there and listening to the flit flit of their wings as they approach and then realize I am there and retreat.

I love my birds...may they never go hungry again on my watch.

Oh and sorry there are no birds on the feeder and I have since gotten some suet for the feeder.

2 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

You and Ollie both!
Speaking of which, Ollie thinks his Aunt Lauren is SO COOL because she knows so much about birds and has some awesome binoculars and a huge Audubon birds book. . .I think you're pretty cool too!

Mummy. said...

ohhhhhhhhhh. what a sweet post.
I also think you are cool.