Search This Blog

Monday, February 08, 2010

Love Hate Relationship

In our church we are encouraged to store a years supply of food in case of emergency. Aaron and I strive to uphold this counsel, not only because it is peaceful knowing that we always have something on hand to eat, but because we find home production and storage to be extremely satisfying.

However I have discovered a little trick to making your food storage last longer. That trick is home production. Here is what happens when you process your own food....

You make a huge mess on every possible surface in the kitchen...

You create piles of waste and garbage...

No surface, high or low, is spared...

You spend copious amounts of time on your feet running from point A to point B etc...

And in the end you have an extremely satisfying product that has cost you dearly in resources, time and labor. There are 2 natural reactions.

1. It is so precious that you don't dare touch it for at least 6 months.

2. You are so sick of the sight, smell and feel of the food you processed that you can't bear the thought of eating it for at least 6 months.

Either way, your food storage lasts longer.

7 comments:

Abby said...

they sure look good though! But I know what you mean

Mama Ash Grove said...

HAHA! Yes- I totally agree!
HEY- can you tell me about your dehydrator- what is is, where did you get it? You could email me. . .we need a new one.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

SO true!!! However, you've got quite the system set up. Fancy equipment. Even more reason for me to find a way to move to Vermont.

CommonMama said...

Yes Lyndee, if you find a way to move to Vermont I will share my dehydrator with you. It is the least I could do!

Erica said...

I am soooooo jealous of you dehydrator!!!

VermontMom said...

Your posts gave me great delight today and a darned good chuckle.

Jennifer Bundy said...

so true so true!