Search This Blog

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Learned Helplessness

This morning while I was waiting for the bus with Sophie, Ben wanted to play outside. This would have left Jacob inside alone.

I told Ben that if he wanted to play outside he had to get Jacob ready. I figured this would take longer than it would take the bus to get here since Ben can't dress himself in a timely manner on a regular basis.

However about a minute and a half later out came Ben dressed and ready to go along with Jacob. Hat, boots, coat...clearly I am not motivating or expecting enough out of Ben!

5 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

Ben must've REALLY wanted to go out! Jacob probably too, because I'll bet he was cooperating with Ben!

Abby said...

that is so cute! he must have really wanted to play outside! oh that ben

Mummy. said...

I wish I had been a bug on the wall. That must have been wondrously cute.

Unknown said...

WOW that was a cool story. hmm . . . I am sure "motivation" could find a way to backfire.

Karyn said...

That is too funny! My kids are the same way. If they want to do something, they are really fast at getting ready. If they don't, it takes us forever to get ready!