Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2008

One More Thing

If you ask Ben how old he is, he gets all upset and says, "I'm not old, I want to be new!!!" While trying to figure this out, I learned that he is worried about death. Old people die, so he is not old, he is new.

He asked how old Jacob was and I answered almost 2 years old. Then Ben asked if Jacob was going to die. Then he asked how old I was, I told him 30, and he asked if that was old and if I was going to die. Such deep thoughts from a little boy!!

4 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

When Ollie turned 4, he did not like us to call him a "big boy." He kept insisting he was still ittle, or would say he is "medium, but not big."
I guess the concept of growing older is hard for us all, even for those of us who are still "new."

Jennifer Bundy said...

You are such a good mommy! I love the birthday cakes- I don't know if I will ever be that fancy. But who knows, we do things we never thought we would do for our kids, don't we?

A few months ago, Keith was pretty preoccupied with the whole growing and then dieing concept. He seems to have gotten over it, but we kept reinforcing that we will always be together as a family- always- because mommy and daddy were married in the temple and the kids are sealed to us. I think that has helped some.

Unknown said...

weird that these small children are thinking about death! when does this occur to them? I didnt ever think of death til i met keith. maybe it is because they suddenly have a new sibling?

Mama Ash Grove said...

With Ollie is has not ever been a fear of death, but more a fear of losing his spot as "the baby."