Search This Blog

Monday, June 16, 2008

Advice for the Day



Ok, you know these tops that allow you to pull just one sheet of, say, clorox wipes or diaper wipes, out? My advice for the day is that if you accidentally pull one too many out, just throw it away and call it a loss. Don't try to stuff it back in.

I did try to stuff it back in and could not get my finger back out. I tried for 2-3 minutes, which doesn't sound long, but I had no circulation to the tip of my finger, and those barbs were really digging in.

I succeeded in sliding a baby spoon handle down between my finger and half of the barbs, but that just transferred all the pressure onto the remaining barbs, thus digging them in deeper.

I considered a photographic journey in the very beginning of the process, but I quickly became scared that I was going to have to call 911 to come cut the thing off, so I abandoned the idea to save time.

Finally I was able to wedge a pair of scissors in there and cut off the remaining barbs (don't worry I only barely nicked my skin once, it didn't even bleed.)

I am not sure if you can see it in the photo, but my pointer finger is still red and hot 20 minutes later.


Here is the damage the top sustained, the poor thing. Actually, Ben was watching the whole time and when I got out the scissors he begged and pleaded that I not use the scissors to hurt the top. He was excited for my finger when it finally came free.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ben seems like a peculiar boy. he must have thought the top was amazing.
sorry lauren! i would have panicked!

Mummy. said...

yeeesh!

Mama Ash Grove said...

Oh Lauren! This is one of those "Lauren moments"- you know the ones- like say, you fumble and spill an entire box of crackers everywhere. . .you know.
I am glad you finger is okay!

erica said...

I appreciate your being so frugal and trying to save the wipe. I would have done the same thing, but in the future I will know not to.

erica said...

I tried writing this and posting it already, but it didn't work, so hopefully it will this time.
I appreciate your trying to be so frugal. I would have done the same thing, but in the future I will know that it isn't worth the risk.