Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Parenting Practices: Time

For much of my married life I have prided myself on being on time.  Then Noah was born and for some reason I lost the ability to be be on time.  It has nothing to do with Noah except that he has the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.
 It has a little to do with my previous post in that I was seeing myself as a victim.  I work too hard, my brain can't handle four kids, my life is busy, stressful etc...  All those things may be true, but I was rewarding myself with down time.  Now I am not saying that we don't need downtime.  In fact I think it is essential.  But there comes a time where you have to put that away and do what needs to be done.

The other factor in my lateness is that for some time I have been a stay at home mom with few out of house engagements requiring me to be strictly "on time"  I could go grocery shopping whenever it was convenient and as long as I was home before 2:50 it was fine.  I have not worn a watch in about 12 years.  Last week I bought a watch and all of a sudden I am aware of the passing of time again.

What does this have to do with parenting practices?  For me personally being on time produces less stress in getting ready to leave.  Less stress means less barking at the kids to move along.  Being on time allows us to get settled in at church, appointments, stores...creating more peace and tranquility.  Basically being on time makes mom feel less frantic and remember, "when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

And on that note it is time to leave to bring my charge to summer camp!
All those photos were random, but I hate posting without a picture and to connect it all together, when I am on time I have time to stop and take pictures of the amazing state I live in and love dearly.

No comments: