Search This Blog

Monday, October 04, 2010

Noah's Surgery

The second day of school Noah had surgery.  We thought that his umbilical remnant was attached to his intestine.  I was so stressed about the surgery because in order for the intestine to heal I couldn't feed him for a couple of days.


My mind was boggled as to how a 2 month old infant could go without nursing for 2 days.  I was also worried because I have never had success with pumping.  I was worried that I would lose my milk supply and nursing would be over.

I prayed and prayed that it would not be the intestine, but his bladder instead because that is a much faster easier recovery.  Aaron also gave him a beautiful priesthood blessing.


So the morning of the surgery I was allowed to nurse Noah at 6:15.  Then we headed to the hospital so he slept on the 1 hour 25 minute ride.  We checked in at 8:15 and he slept right on through.  We went to pre-op and he slept until they woke him up to weigh and measure him.  I thought things would fall apart at this point.


My mom was there so I had her hold him thinking if I held him he would want to nurse.  But he started to fuss so I took him and he just peacefully laid in my arms and even dozed a bit.


They finally took him and my mom and I went to have lunch.  Our hospital has won awards for their food.  It is all healthy.  And all the silverware is biodegradable.  I got a whole wheat pesto chicken ricotta calzone.  It was quite tasty and I plan on recreating it here at home.  It was a lot of fun to sit and chat with my mother like a friend.

When we checked in the hospital gave us a special number and with it you can check on the status of the patient.  I knew almost at the very moment when Noah was out of surgery and in post-op.  It was pretty cool and it gave me something to do while I waited.


The surgeon came and spoke to us and you cannot believe the huge sigh of relief I felt when he told us it was his bladder not the intestine.  It was euphoric.  I can still feel some of that high as I remember the moment.



I went into post-op, nursed him immediately and then we spent the night at the hospital.  I guess sometimes infants forget to breath after anesthesia plus they had to make sure urine was flowing properly.
Noah in his hospital bed.  To the side of his right knee is the catheter tube, on his left leg is his I.V. the bandaging is just to keep it stable.  On his right big toe is the oxygen sensor.

I cannot help but think that the peace that I felt and how peaceful Noah was through it all was an answer to our prayers.


Sweet peaceful boy

4 comments:

Mummy. said...

+VERY sweet peaceful boy. I think he may grow to look a lot like Ben, who is perfect in every way!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

The miracles that one experiences on a daily basis never cease to amaze me. Noah is perfect.

Mama Ash Grove said...

beautiful post, Lauren- I feel teary as I did when I talked with you on the phone that day!!! Remember?! Haha
No mama should have to watch her infant go to surgery- and you had to do it twice. You are so strong, Lauren! I am so grateful it was his bladder, and that it all went so smoothly, and that Noah was so peaceful through it all!
Loveyou

Julie Cornelius-Huang said...

This was a wonderful story. I could feel your relief as I read it. <3