Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Taco Salad

July 10th I made taco salad for dinner. I had read that making tortilla bowls was pretty easy so I thought I would give it a try. It is easy and so much fun and SO yummy. It does require a lot of oil, but you can save it for future frying ventures.

The whole lot of tortillas.

A close up.

Sophie's salad topped with Ken's Steak House Lite Country French with Vermont Honey (It must be stated this way.)

My salad topped with salsa and cottage cheese (a bit healthier than sour cream.)

FYI you heat the oil, drop the tortilla in ( I used store bought as I was hugely pregnant. I would like to try it with homemade tortilla at some point.) Quickly place an empty can with both ends cut out in the center of the tortilla to create the bowl shape and fry until golden brown!

4 comments:

Julie Cornelius-Huang said...

YUM! I will have to surprise Keith with this soon. I am working harder to be the cook in the family. Pay back for his 4 years of cooking for ME.

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Oooh! I had no idea this was something I could make. I've got to try it sometime.

Tara said...

They make a cage like thing to get the "shape" - I'd never heard of doing it this way and seeing as I did not have the cage thing (and wasn't going to buy one for the few uses it would get around here) I've never made them.... Now I think I will. And I love homemade tortillas - it takes a lot of time with all that rolling our and such and our family just goes right through them - we usually buy them on sale and stock up instead... but I'm curious! Thanks!

Erica said...

How appealing!