Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Noah

Noah has a weepy belly button like Sophie did when she was a baby. I made an appointment with the Dr. and she confirmed it was what appeared to be the same thing and sent us to the pediatric surgeon.

I went in all confident that I knew all about this because I had done it before. Little did I know... The Dr. began to confirm that it was what Sophie had and asked if the Dr. had tried to cauterize the belly button with silver nitrate which is usually the first step. They had not so he went to get a Q-tip to do so but first probed the belly button. That's when the Q-tip went places it wasn't supposed to go.

The surgeon then turned to me and said this is something a little more involved than your daughter. He then explained that it appeared that Noah's umbilical remnant was attached to his intestine.

This requires surgery then a several day stay at the hospital where he cannot eat until the detached intestine heals.

Aahhhhhhh how can a newborn not nurse for several days???? It was a very brief appointment and honestly they didn't give me a lot of details. I have a lot of unanswered questions.

Bottom line is that Noah goes in for surgery Tuesday the 31st. I'll keep people posted as I know more.

For your viewing pleasure...my attempts at capturing Noah's, "I am trying to poop face."



6 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Good luck! I had preemies in the nicu, so about the feeding thing, I think they would put a sugar kind of solution in an iv, to keep him hydrated and still getting calories. The worst part will be the pumping and other such things that go along with not nursing for a few days. You will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Mama Ash Grove said...

Lauren, I already talked with you about this- so I won't say much more here!
Noah is so precious!
I'm here when you need me. <3

Caitlin and Jared said...

He is so cute...no matter what he is trying to do. Good luck with the surgery and all that will come with it!

Abby said...

Good luck Lauren - I am so sorry that you and Noah have to go through this. I love you

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I can truly say that I can understand some of the anxiety you must be going through. That kid's a cutie! We'll be thinking of you.

Erica said...

I cringed (sp?) when you said the q-tip went places it isn't supposed to. The pooping pictures are fantastic!!!