Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sterotypes

I hate to say that stereotypes are real, but in many cases they are. There are always exceptions to the rule, but none the less stereotypes happen. Case in point...

Today I went to go spend lunch with Ben and Sophie at school. We then went out to play for recess.

Sophie quickly joined a gaggle of girls in a VERY elaborate set up of fairy house. They have multiple spots all over the hillside. Sophie has been sewing away on pillows for the fairies. They have a seashell toilet with seashell bathtub and sink. They have created a fairy garden with moss and apple seeds. They even have a fairy graveyard with half a Lego man in it. A fairy hotel is in the making. It was fun to watch them all run around and find random bits of bark and dust and then imagine them into necessary items for the fairy house.

Then I went to join Ben for awhile. He and his passel of boys had what looked like a very similar set up. Pine boughs at the roots of a tree appeared to create yet another locale for the fairies. When I asked, I learned that they were playing Star Wars. They had different sticks that were various weapons from Star Wars, some from the movie, some made up because weapons are just cool.

It was such a pleasure to watch the two of them interact with their peers. It was clear they were having SOOOO much fun. And while there were a few boys helping with the fairy set up, and I know girls that love Star Wars (Sophie being one of them,) it was funny to see them fall into little stereotypical groupings.

4 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

So cute!!!
It is true- in general children do drift toward those "stereotypical roles!"

Julie Cornelius-Huang said...

My Comments:
1. Image of kids at school is delightful
2. Sophie playing in the bathtub!!!!! I would have snuck out too!! Ahhhh.
3.) oh amazing pictures. wish I had been there.
4.) Your sweet baby!! Thank you for sharing pictures.

Abby said...

So cute!
Ok - I just realized that I often say the same thing mel says unintentionally. I type it then look and see she has said the same thing.

Anyway - So cute

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

It's true! With certain kids, it doesn't matter what you try indoctrinating into them into. I have no problems with my boys playing dolls, the one is willing to play with dolls...and guns.