Search This Blog

Sunday, March 07, 2010

I read an article about a museum that painted a fly in the urinals and reduced their... ummm...spillage...by some incredible percentage.

Having two boys (one who can't focus to save his life) we have a fair amount of "spillage," so I painted a ladybug, flower and butterfly in the toilet bowl.

That very day there were no "spills" on the floor. A few days later I noticed that the bathroom smelled much more fresh than it had in a long time. Then Ben scraped them off (ok well actually the flower and butterfly didn't dry long enough so they peeled right off, so it was just the ladybug he scraped off) and within minutes there was a "spill"on the toilet seat.

Don't be surprised if you find something interesting in my toilet next time you are here.

10 comments:

Karyn said...

That is a great idea! I have heard of throwing cheerios in, but I think this is even better. I will have to try it sometime!

Abby said...

I love that idea! You should keep doing it

Mama Ash Grove said...

Yay, you did it! And it looks so pretty. Too bad Ben scraped off the ladybug. . .maybe if it was a vehicle or some piece of machinery of some sort he'd leave it?

Caitlin and Jared said...

Another genius idea! I will have to file that one away for if I ever have boys! : )

Julie Cornelius-Huang said...

How did you paint them on there? That is a good story. Did ben reach in and scrape it off?

Erica said...

love it!! i am also curious about the process to get them painted on there

Jennifer Bundy said...

So do you turn off the water to the toilet, then paint them and turn the water back on? I so need to try this- my bathroom reeks!

CommonMama said...

For those interested...I dumped a 5 gallon bucket of water down the toilet to drain it. The I dried the toilet bowl with a rag (I did this all after I cleaned the toilet of course.) Then I painted.

Now comes the not so safe part. I used the hair dryer to dry the paint. I guess since technically there is still a small amount of water in the toilet I was at risk for electric shock, but I was VERY careful. You have to be pretty thorough about drying the paint though. The two I did quickly washed right off.

Oh and I used acrylic paint. I would love to see photos from anyone who tries it!

CommonMama said...

For those concerned about electric shock...just ban the use of the toilet for the evening or something to that effect.

Tara said...

Fasinating! My boys sit, so we don't have that problem yet... I'm sure, when they figure out standing from some where else, we'll be dealing with that too!