Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The Pirate

The time has come for Ben to wear an eye patch. These pictures are from the very first time I out one on him, and I put it on wrong.

He has to wear it all day and our goal is to make it until dinner time. We usually make it, but every once in awhile he takes it off mid day. We have learned a few tricks to make it successful.

1. He gets to pick the patch and open the package
2. I cut little wedges out of the patch from around his cheek area. It changes nothing, but helps him to feel in control
3. I give him personal 1 on 1 time or a movie or computer game for the first 10 minutes he is wearing the patch. After that he mostly forgets he is wearing it

He does have this fabric one that goes over his glasses, but it is very easy to cheat and peek around the edges or move it. The first week we couldn't use it at all. Now that he is used to patching we use it when he takes the sticky patch off too early.

I always kiss his sweet brown eye goodbye in the morning and kiss it back at night when he takes the patch off.

I also tell him that people will think he is so adorable with the patch that they will pinch his cheeks and give him candy. So far I am the only one who has done this so he doesn't believe me anymore. If any of you locals want to support me on this, Ben would love it.

Ben goes back in April to see if there is any progress. If there is than there are eye drops that can blur his vision and he won't have to wear the patch any more, though sometimes I think it would be easier to put a patch on then put eye drops in!

5 comments:

Mummy. said...

Tell him that Grammy wants to kiss him and give him candy.
When should we get together?

Abby said...

oh ben! He looks so cute in an eye patch. Did you tell him I used to wear an eye patch? I love that you kiss his eye before and after. he looks SO cute with it on

Mama Ash Grove said...

Oh Ben- could there be a sweeter boy than him? And who would've thought an eye patch would make him even cuter?
What a lucky family you are to have that Benjamin!

Julie Cornelius-Huang said...

He looks CUTE. And that must SUCK. Kids get use to eyedrops. iigen had pink eye for SEVERAL weeks off and on, and after a while he was actually patient with the eye drops. who would have thought?

Jennifer Bundy said...

My sister had to try this on her daughter, but she was too young to understand and kept pulling it off. They had to do the drops. Glad he is pretty cooperative!