Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Another Random One

As titled...this is another random one...

Sophie was (breaking rules) climbing in the bathroom and something about it looked vaguely dancer like. Maybe her dance classes are paying off.

I'll use this photo to tell a story about Sophie...
She had a lump under her tongue that the dentist was keeping an eye on. Last week it became red, inflamed and very painful so the dentist sent us on to the oral surgeon for a consultation.

Wednesday Sophie, Jacob and I arrived at the appt and the Dr. said that she had a calcium deposit and it was clearly visible so he wanted to remove it right then.

They gave Sophie some laughing gas. Sure enough she became all giggly. Then three shots of novocain. Jacob and I were asked to leave the room at this point. Had I known they were going to do it that day I would have arranged for child care so that I could have stayed with Sophie, but oh well...A little nick and a scoop later they had a very large calcium stone (the Dr and nurses were all impressed) that had been blocking Sophie's salivary gland under her tongue.

The interesting thing is that the flow of saliva will keep the wound open, so basically they redirected Sophie's salivary gland.

Sophie saved the stone to share with everyone, but it got lost. Sophie was devastated. Luckily I had noticed that it was about the size of a pearled barley grain. She now totes around a barley grain that looks almost identical to the original stone.

4 comments:

Caitlin and Jared said...

I've heard that could happen, now I know someone who has had it. Hope it heals quickly. Funny, that even being naughty and climbing in the bathroom can be graceful!

Mummy. said...

ph. funny. She needs a little box.

Abby said...

oh my word! That is so funny she is toting around a barley grain.

Mama Ash Grove said...

Sophie does look like a dancer up there!