Search This Blog

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ben

This post is dedicated to Ben

I'm pretty sure he is spatially gifted like Aaron as evidenced by these things he built completely by himself, no pattern, no adult.

This is the new face of Ben. He picked these glasses out very specifically because they look like Daddy's.

A couple of months ago he kept saying that things looked weird out of his left eye. After several trips to different doctors we have learned that Ben has amblyopia. It is a type of lazy eye.

All babies can't see well when they are born, but slowly as they grow the brain and the eye work together to learn to see. Ben's left eye never learned to see.

So he has glasses. In January we find out if just the glasses have corrected the problem. If not than he will have to wear a patch. We are really hoping that the glasses work, but I suspect that he will have to have a patch.

Once the problem is corrected he will wear glasses until around the age of nine when eyesight stabilizes. He may not have to wear glasses after that, or he may have to wear glasses the rest of his life. Only time will tell.

Saturday October 24th Aaron and I were at a church meeting and we had a babysitter. Ben was spinning around being crazy and fell and hit his head on the Lego trunk.

We did not have a cell phone with us, but we left my mom's cell number with the babysitter since we would be with her eventually. The only problem was that we went grocery shopping and out to dinner before we get to my mom.

We got to the church where my mom was and I immediately went to find her so that I could tell her that I had given her cell phone number to the babysitter. Before I could finish telling her she said that I had a message. I guessed that Ben had thrown up and she said, "No, worse."

I called the sitter, but by this time 2 hours had passed. She had put a butterfly stitch on, cleaned up the blood and had covered the wound. Ben was up and playing as if nothing had happened so I felt it was ok for us to stay at the meeting.

When we got home at 10:00 I took a look at it and thought it looked pretty deep. I called the doctor and she said that we had a window if time to get it stitched. We could wait until morning, but it would be better to bring him to the ER (only because it was after hours.

Long story short...he got five stitches and we were home in bed by 1:30.

Here is the patient with Nurse Carol (a.k.a. Sophie,) who very kindly and gently washed the wound, applied bacitracin and covered it with a bandaid.

4 comments:

Abby said...

oh no ben! poor little guy! In the first picture with the stitches he has such sad brown eyes - it breaks my heart. then the second one they are so happy looking!
wow ben is very talented! I am so impressed! And those glasses - he looks SO cute

Erica said...

I like the glasses!! And he should have a sweet scar from those stiches. It is clear that we did not share the story of my spinning and ending up with 4 stiches. If we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat it.:(

Karyn said...

I haven't had to deal with stitches yet. I hope that I don't have to! Ben looks good in his glasses. I hope that they work for you. I bet getting him to wear a patch would be hard. I am impressed with his designs at the beginning of the post. He's talented!

Mummy. said...

Ben looks very handsome with his glasses...and by the next Sunday I could hardly tell it had happened. He is a good healer.