Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2008

Lunar Eclipse


www.geocities.com/the_150mm_reflector/lunar1.jpg

Wednesday night there was a lunar eclipse and Sophie expressed interest in seeing it. However it didn't start until after eight and finished hours after that, so I told her that she wouldn't be able to see it.

However 10:15 rolled around and I was just going to bed and the moon looked so cool. I remembered as a child my Dad and Mom woke me up in the middle of the night, even though I was supposed to be asleep, to see the Aurora Borealis.

It was so special to me that my parents allowed me to be awake to see such an amazingly beautiful manifestation. I have often felt natural occurances like this are evidence of God's love for His children.

Anyway... because of this fond memory I decided to wake Sophie up to see the lunar eclipse. She looked for a second, went to the bathroom and then went back to bed.

In the morning I asked her what she thought of the lunar eclipse, expecting to have created a memory similar to mine, and she said, "I didn't see the lunar eclipse."

I laid out the details to her, hoping to jog her memory, but with no luck. Oh well, maybe next time, in 2010.

3 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

Oh no! I missed the Aurora Borealis! I am glad you got to see it.
The eclipse was amazing though. It really filled me with awe as I watched it.
I didn't end up waking Ella up for it but I did show her pictures that I took.

Caitlin and Jared said...

I remember my parents waking us up to go sledding once because it had finally snowed. My dad used to wake me up to watch the meteor showers too. Great memories! I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities yet to come to create those memories with your kids!!

Mama Ash Grove said...

I guess I read that too fast the first time. . .I thought you meant the Aurora Borealis happened the same night as the eclipse! I was imagining quite the show up there. ..