Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

W.F.D.T.R.: Lentil Soup

  I got this recipe out of a magazine a few years ago and I only just made it for the first time.  When I served it the kids looked at me like I was crazy, but they all ate it and at least liked it.  Aaron and I on the other hand LOVED it.  I think it is the first soup that hasn't gone bad in the fridge as leftovers in a very long time.

Lentil Soup 

adapted from Country Woman Oct/Nov 2007 Yields 2 quarts (8 servings) 1 cup=219 calories (with original recipe)

2 cups sliced carrots
2 celery stalks (I tend to use more)
1 large onion chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T olive oil (original recipe called for butter)
7 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I use water and better than bouillon)
1 1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
3 T pearled barley
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (I used a 15 oz can of petite dices tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion)
2 T lemon juice
4 1/2 t molasses (I fudged on this and just added a glop)
1 T red wine vinegar (don't have that so I just used regular white vinegar)
1/2 t pepper
dash each of dried thyme, basil and oregano (I don't have thyme and I hate oregano so I only used basil.

Saute carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in olive oil.  Add broth, lentils, barley and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender (it took WAY longer than the recipe indicated.)

No comments: