Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Parenting Practices: In the Moment

Yesterday was Martin Luther King Day, and in addition to being a day to remember an amazing man who taught us about hope for a better future, justice, equality and peaceful protest, it was a day off from school.  

With the toboggan we got from my sister for Christmas and four red cheeked, stuffed dumpling like children in tow, we searched for a good hill.  We tried a few locations and finally found one that wasn't too hard to climb, but gave us good speed and a long run.  

I began taking runs to pack down a path and in the meantime the kids were having the time of their life.  

Sophie had an icicle that she was licking into the perfect shape and using as a dagger to defend herself from some unseen foe.

Ben was launching himself head over heels down the hill, sometimes like a buffoon who lost his balance and was attempting to be a human snowball and sometimes with amazing speed, precision, and agility.

Jacob took off to the far reaches of the field and was finding the biggest snow rollers (the snowballs created by the wind in an open field) and trying to balance them on his head.

And Noah?  He was trouping through the snow, bouncing between the other three kids.  His eyes were watering and snot was running out of his nose and he was clearly cold as evidenced by his round red cheeks framed by his knit hat and hood. He would pleasantly come to me every few minutes and ask me to fix his mittens because his thumb wasn't going in right. 

As I observed all this I had a fleeting thought that I should go get the camera, but I quickly realized that if I had to go all the way back to the house to get the camera, this moment would be over.  

So my dear blogger friends, (I am assuming that someone is reading this!) you get a blog post with no pictures, and I have the images and memories tucked away in my brain because I was there to see it all.

No comments: