Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bust a Move Saturday: 5k Failure

Today I am struggling internally.  Right now I should be finishing up a 5k that I signed up for.  Last year I ran in two races and LOVED it.  I loved the training, I loved the race, I loved how my body responded to running.  
I still have a hard time believing this is me.
My internal struggle comes from feeling simultaneously like a failure that I can't do this race today and feeling like there was just no way it was going to be able to happen.  I started training and got out a few times.  Enough to record 13 miles of my trip to Maine.  

But this summer was crazy.  My college class was more intense than I realized.  For three days after it ended my entire body felt rubbery as my muscles relaxed for the first time in 10 weeks.  I was also sitting and writing a lot more than I was accustomed to.  My right shoulder and neck are still fouled up from it.  Right when I was about to intensify my training my sciatic nerve got pinched, badly. 

I am now almost pain free, but I have some tingling and I am worried it is nerve damage.  I am working on the most basic training.  I have to fix my posture.  I have to strengthen my abdominal muscles.  For years I have been using my shoulders as my abs.  Basically my whole right side is a mess.

I don't think I could  have sacrificed that training in order to prepare for a 5k.  But still...there is a racing bib with my name on it (or at least my number) sitting lonely on the registration table.  People who know me are wondering why I am not there.  Strangers who encouraged me to stick with running are thinking, "I guess that overweight 34 year old who started running last year couldn't stick with it." 

I hate to make any bold statements about what I am going to do in the future, but I don't feel like I am done running. 
These pictures are just because I think every post should have a photo and most posts should have a minimum of two photos.

2 comments:

sabofamily said...

we all have our limits, and you were wise to listen to your body. You had a lot on your plate this summer! you should be proud of yourself, not feeling bad. Give your body time to heal, then when you feel up for it, get right back in!
love you!

Susan said...

Don't feel guilty, you need to stop and take care of your body and yourself. I have a friend that continued running and didn't listen to her body. She had to have ankle surgery twice and hasn't ever gotten back because she didn't stop and listen when she should have. Knowing you and your determination you'll get back to it eventually. There is a time and a season for everything in life!