Search This Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

L.S.N.E.D.: Now Is The Time

Today I attended the funeral of my step grandfather, Mo Kenfield.  My grandfather Norman passed away when I was eight and my grandmother married Mo shortly thereafter.  Being that I am almost 35, Mo was my grandfather for years longer than my Grampy Norman.  

I always feel sad at funerals, knowing that my time to be with that person here on earth is at a standstill.  This funeral was especially hard.  

I left on my mission after MaryLou died, and Mo married while I was gone.  I got home from my mission, got married within the year and began having children the year after that.  Sometimes I would see him when we were in town visiting my parents. A couple years ago I realized I had neglected an important relationship so I began sending Christmas cards.  

Mo became unresponsive after a medical procedure and I panicked, knowing that I should have been more a part of his life.  But then I heard that he had gotten better and was in rehab.  I had a sigh of relief as I thought that I could have another chance of reaching out to he and his wife Barbara.  Then very shortly thereafter I received the call that he had passed away.

At his funeral today I heard so many things about him that I never knew.  Things I should have known.  Things that would have blessed my life and made me a better person if I had been a part of Mo's life as his granddaughter.

Sadly I missed my chance.  But today is a day to remember that there is always something I can can do better, a person I can love more, serve more, make more a part of my life.  So next time you think; I don't have time to stop and say hi, or I am too busy to send a letter or make a call,  I have a hard time getting together with so-and-so because of xyz...remember a time will come when you realize that time is up.  That person has moved on and you missed out on being a part of their life and they yours.  Seize the day.  And from the advice of Mo as he has nearing the "Hallelujah Side," :
"Volunteer
and
Move"

Mo and three of his loves:  Lobster, campers/camping, and one of the three amazing women (my grandmother MaryLou,) that had joy and peace in their lives as he loved and cared for them through thick and thin, sickness and health, two of them until "death do us part."


2 comments:

Mummy. said...

thank you for that beautiful message Lauren.

CommonMama said...

You are welcome! I recognize that that there are some situations where this message does not apply. I am certainly not going to rekindle a relationship with my relative who did something quite hurtful and wrong just to open that wound to be hurt again, but in general I think it is a good message to apply.