Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Conquering Fears

When I was a kid I tried sewing a few things with limited success.  As an adult I thought I was ready to conquer sewing again.  I make a few things like curtains and proudly announced I had mastered the straight line.  But every time I tried sewing clothes I hated it (ok that is too strong.)  It wasn't fun or relaxing. 


Then one day I had an epiphany.  If I didn't like sewing clothes I didn't have to do it.  So I stopped trying.  Then as Sophie's 8th birthday approached I started looking for a baptism dress for her.  If I wanted to pay an arm and a leg I could get one.  Then I found an affordable site, but they were all way to poofy and fancy. 

So I got my mom to help me make Sophie a dress.  She bought the pattern and supplies.  She showed me how to do things step my step.  She did some of the harder parts for me and in the end we had a dress.

Then a friend asked me if I wanted to make an Easter dress with her.  I told her NO!  But some time went by and I am not sure why, I changed my mind.  I went to the store with Sophie.  She picked out fabric and a pattern. And then...I made a dress.  All by myself.  I tried to call my Mom several times and she wasn't home and I was forced to figure things out on my own.

Here is the end result.  It is full of imperfections, but I did it!!!!
The dress
At the same time Sophie caught the knitting bug and made this scarf


The ensemble

5 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

So cute! Love the pink color!

Abby ~ Plant-Eating Mama said...

great job! I feel the same way about sewing at this point. My problem is it takes me so long and my back kills by the end making it no fun at all. I love that Sophie knitted that scarf!

Mama Ash Grove said...

And I saw both the dress and scarf in person, and was very impressed!

Caitlin and Jared said...

Good job! Sewing isn't my best friend either! : )

sabofamily said...

It's beautiful! I want to learn to sew, too. There are sewing classes available at a very affordable price, but I have Dimitri to haul around and I still don't have the guts to drive here. I just hauled out my grandmother's sewing machine, and don't even know how to set it up :P