Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk

Ok...first some background.

I have spent close to $100 over the last year searching for the perfect mop, but none suits my fancy. So regardless of the multiple types of mops and cleaners in the basement, I mop the floor on my hands and knees. Nothing will ever compare to the smooth clean feel of a hand mopped floor.

Anyway...

Today I mopped the floors. Now when I mop the floors two things almost always happen.

  1. Someone spills their milk. Today Jacob did. And...Aaron, who has not spilled his milk in about 2 years. Of course when the milk spills it runs off the table and drops threeish feet to the floor where the splatters spread getting progressively smaller until it is impossible to measure the true area of spillage(see photo.)
  2. Without thinking, I make rice for dinner. Rice has many flaws when it comes to clean floors. The issue at hand here is...
  • Rice sticks to the floor. Honestly we usually leave it a couple of hours until it is dry enough to sweep or the dog eats it up (hey I know it sounds gross, but I am all for efficiency.)
  • Rice also sticks to your socks or feet so that every step you take sticks and spreads rice goo.
  • Rice sticks to your clothing and falls off at random, thus spreading the goo throughout every room of the house.
The good news...it has become a family joke so when it happens I laugh instead of cry.

http://www.williams-photo.com/archives/2007/03/spilled_milk.html (sorry, I didn't take the time to photograph my own floors)

5 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

Haha! I hear ya on the hand mopped floors, and on not finding the perfect mop. I too have yet to find it.
I also hear ya on the spills on freshly clean floors. Sigh.

Mummy. said...

Yep. I will show you my mop next time. I like it.

Hannah Joy said...

Hahaha so funny. The picture of spilt milk actually looks cool. I have a swiffer and I like it.

Erica said...

baby powder helps with sweeping up sticky messes.

sabofamily said...

I just use a huge (broom size) squeegee with a rag. works wonders. I can't find good mops here.

The spilled milk pic is awesome!

And about the rice...we eat rice here almost every day, and I feel your pain! (but now I have 2 dogs to help, yay!)