Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Failure

This morning I made bread, and I have never failed so miserably. Here's how it went...

The recipe called for two cups of water. I have made this recipe so many times I have it memorized and don't even have to pull out the recipe card. But today for some reason I only added one cup of water.

So as it was kneading under the bread hook it turned in to a solid rocky mass. It was at this point I realized the error of my ways.

So I figured I could add the missing cup of water and just turn the mixer on the stir setting and slowly mix in the water.

This resulted in a volcanic eruption of yeasty water that coated the walls, cabinets, my face, my shirt and probably several other locations that I have yet to find.

Still determined to succeed, I covered the top of the bowl with a towel and started again...good idea right?

Well the water still was not absorbing into the dough so I turned the speed up on the mixer and thought I was having success until the towel got caught on the top of the dough hook and got wrapped around several times before I could turn the machine off.

Then I sunk my arm about half way up to my elbow into the dough and began hand mixing. Though EXTREMELY messy it was successful enough that I was able to turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it almost to a normal texture.

Maybe, MAYBE
it will turn into a halfway decent batch of bread. And maybe while I wait, I'll find my brain. I seem to have misplaced it. I am pretty sure I left in the other day light savings time....

10 comments:

Abby said...

oh lauren! that is so funny! i hope the bread came out alright.

Mummy. said...

Oh my goooodneeeeeessssss. Yep. Good thing you didnt' catch your hand betweent he beaters and the side of the bowl as it is going (I've done that along with the exploits you described.) It hurt.

Mama Ash Grove said...

Oh poor Lauren! I have done this kind of thing too! Did you get any pictures of the explosion?
I am anxious to hear if the bread turned out okay!

Mary said...

Oh No! I love the way you describe it but I am sorry there was such a mess. I hope the bread came out of the oven perfectly wonderful!

VermontMom said...

And then there are days....

Karyn said...

This is a great story. I hope that you found your brain since then. I hate when I lose mine. Nothing goes right when I do...

Caitlin and Jared said...

I love that you are so determined to make it work! How did it turn out?

Unknown said...

OH lauren, this post made me laugh out loud! i hope your bread turned out good atlast. MY bread is almost always perfect. I am sucha good bread maker. Of course, it wouldnt be so if I didn't have such a wonderful kitchen helper, the bread maker! hahahah.

Laurie said...

love this! SOrry for the morning but it is nice to see I'm not the only one who loses her mind. Love ya, Laurie
Oh, congrats on the new appliances! very nice.

Becky said...

At least you make wonderful delicious homemade bread! I love this story--it's perfect!