Search This Blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Radioactive Iodine

I guess I never wrote officially that I had my radioactive iodine treatment done the last week in February. So far the effect of it has been very minor. For a few days my thyroid hurt. Now I get really hot. It doesn't feel like a hot flash, it feels woozy, like I am going to pass out and like my heart is beating too fast. I don't enjoy it, but it really is a minor side effect. Steroid treatment was WAY worse.

An interesting tid bit... The radioactivity can be detected in me for up to two months. When you cross the Canadian/U.S. border, the have some sort of thing that detects radioactivity (in case someone is trying to smuggle uranium etc... into the U.S.) I happen to be crossing the border this week for a field trip with Sophie, so I have a paper from the DR. that explains why I am setting off the alarms.

Anyway...today at church I was about halfway down the hall and a member of our branch that works on the border was at the end of the hall, and he started beeping. I am not sure if he was on his way to/from work, but he had his "detector" on him and I set it off. Fascinating huh?

1 comment:

Caitlin and Jared said...

Any adventures crossing the border? Hope you are feeling better!