Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wordless Wednesday: Decidedly Wordy

I didn't feel like being wordless today.

I am a stay at home mom. I happen to be in the process of finishing up the education necessary for my second career. What, you may ask, was your first career? Well, this was the day I graduated with my associates degree in mother:

Then I furthered my education and decided to get my bachelor's degree in mother:

(Mere weeks after getting my bachelor's degree from Johnson State I might add)
Despite challenges and taunts from others that I was getting too much education and I was crazy to further my degree, I decided to get my master's degree in mother:

While I found getting this education challenging and I felt inadequate many times, I found it rewarding and decided to wrap things up by getting my doctorate in mother:

Just because I have my doctorate in mother does not mean I am the best mother. I know mothers who have their associate's degree and apply that knowledge with wisdom that exceeds my doctorate. As with any career degree there are stellar professionals and ones who have the degree but do nothing with the education required to get that degree. I know women who are studying furiously and gaining lots of experience and knowledge but for one reason or another they are struggling to graduate with that degree but still use those experiences to better their homes, communities, workplace etc...

But for all those mothers out there who struggle to find value, satisfaction, success, a sense of accomplishment, validation, or whatever it is that makes you question, "is this worth it?" in their job as stay at home mom, here are some words of encouragement and wisdom:

"In my opinion, the teaching, rearing, and training of children requires more intelligence, intuitive understanding, humility,strength, wisdom, spirituality, perseverance, and hard work than any other challenge we might have in life." James E. Faust

3 comments:

Hannah Joy said...

I love this post so much.

First of all, I love all of your newborns scrunched up faces. They look so healthy and precious!

Second of all, You have all the right degrees. When you are an old lady and you look back in time...you know that you are going to be so thankful that you took the time to be with your children. They will remember your strong presence in their lives and it will shape their self esteem, their relationship with you and they will want to be that kind of parent too.

I sometimes struggle because so many of my friends established degrees and jobs before having children. Some of them are scientists, some doctors, some midwives, some teachers...I can sometimes feel inadequite. The fact is, when I first meet people and they ask me what I do, I feel so proud to say firstly that I am a mother. I say it loud and proud. Now I too am finally getting my degree and that feels good too. I am ready for it now, but my first favorite thing about myself is still that I am a mother.

Mrs Abbott said...

Amen, sister!

Abby said...

I love this. You have always had completely adorable babies. And I love your face in the one with Jacob. You look so happy for your VBA2C!
Being a mom is one of the most important things one could do. I'm kind of like you - finishing up my first degree in the middle of being a mom but at some point I will go back and get a degree in what I really want to do - midwifery. After a my kids are older that is.
I think you are simply awesome Lauren. Wish I could see more of you~