Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Learned Helplessness

Aaron's grandfather has a theory that if you do a task badly, enough times, you will not be asked to do it again.  I am trying to figure out if that was Aaron's goal when he processed a butternut squash for Noah.

We had recently emptied a #10 can and so as Aaron cubed the squash he put it in the can.  I guess it was handy or something.

When he was done he had the "brilliant" idea of cooking the squash in the #10 can.  I tried to think of reasons why it wasn't a good idea but he had a response for each one so off he went.

While the squash was cooking he went to help bathe the boys so I had the task of processing  the squash after it was cooked.  I dumped it out into colander (which was hard because a #10 can doesn't have handles...) and there on the top of the steaming mass of golden squash for our infant son, was the packet of oxygen absorber.

A few days later I awoke to this on the counter...
I sense a plot here....

3 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

This story has really made me laugh! And I imagine Aaron slapping that sticker onto the squash with finality.

Tara said...

That is one big squash!

I always cut my squash in half and bake it cut side down before taking it apart - then I just scoop and most of the time I just have to mash, not even process. I find it easier to make one cut then to keep fighting the tough buggers!

(Although, my husband will cub up squash when he wants to add it to soup or roasted vegetables - but that's a lot of work and I let him to it)

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is the way it usually goes.