Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Potatoes

August 14th I harvested a row of potatoes. We put in about 2 lbs of seed potatoes and got 31 lbs of potatoes back! Not all the rows have been that productive though.

We experimented with not mounding the potatoes. We covered them with straw. The end result...straw works, but it was so gross to harvest them. The straw was slimy and full of earwigs and other creatures.

Assuming our mounded rows produce ok, I think we will stick with mounded dirt for the potatoes.

I have added a picture with Jacob in it for scale.

6 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

absolutely gorgeous potatoes! I wish our red potatoes had not been attacked by voles. Our storage potatoes are still going strong. . .though I am afraid that once I dig 'em up there will be chewed places all over them. Probably I will dig them up soon.

Abby said...

oh goodness! beautiful potatoes - and the straw does sound really nasty! i love potatoes...
oh jacob! he looks so cute standing there

Mary said...

Those look like wonderful potatoes! And a wonderful Jacob!

Mummy. said...

GORGEOUS mound of potatoes. We may have to rethink our decision to not grow them.

Hannah Joy said...

Those are beautiful red potatoes. I am impressed with those, your green bean canning and your blueberry picking. You guys are really quite self sustained arent ya???

CommonMama said...

I only wish that we were more self sustained. If we had money and land we could have our own beef, pork and poultry. We could have solar panels and windmills and be carbon neutral. Someday I would like to be totally self sustained, but then I always wonder things like how do you make vinegar and molasses? Could I make my own light bulbs...I guess we will never be totally self sustainable.